The treatment of any disease is accompanied by the patient's search for answers to questions about lifestyle, nutrition, medications. The success of any therapy depends on it.
To get rid of a disease as common as pathological varicose veins, you must know what you can and cannot do with varicose veins. Some restrictions will allow the patient to quickly get rid of the pathology and exclude a relapse.
The main methods of treating varicose veins
After visiting a phlebologist, the patient will receive a series of recommendations about his treatment.
The following drugs can be prescribed:
- Venotonic and angioprotective agents;
- Ointments and gels - are used as a complex treatment, as well as to get rid of mild manifestations in the form of spider veins;
- Steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, external forms of drugs based on them, are necessary for the treatment of advanced forms of varicose veins;
- NSAIDs - to relieve pain and inflammation in phlebitis;
- Drugs that prevent blood clotting and dissolve existing clots are prescribed for venous thrombosis.
Unfortunately, medication is not always enough. In advanced stages, the doctor may suggest considering the possibility of surgical treatment. Removing the affected vein is one of the types of surgery. This difficult operation is sometimes the only way to get rid of the pathology. Minimally invasive techniques include sclerotherapy and laser exposure to blood vessels.
As varicose veins involve an increase in the diameter of the vascular branches, their mechanical compression significantly improves the well-being of patients. All patients must wear compression stockings. It is selected by a doctor based on the stage of the disease. In addition, your doctor may recommend exercise therapy, massage and physical therapy procedures.
What can you do at home?
Varicose veins are usually accompanied by swelling and pain in the legs at night. You can quickly get rid of the symptoms. You should lie on your back, raise your legs above body level (you can lean on the edge of a chair or sofa). You must be in this position for at least 20 minutes. You need to perform the exercise daily if varicose veins are detected and suspected.
To improve blood flow, you can do the "bicycle" lying on your back for 1 minute, 3 sets. To activate the work of the calf muscles, the leg veins allow walking on the balls of the feet. This allows you to roll from the heel to the toes.
Other exercises for varicose veins:
- bend fingers and arms at the same time
- foot flexion / extension,
- stop rotation,
- alternate elevations of knees towards the body,
- walking on the outer and inner surfaces of the feet.
Walk daily to lose weight without damaging your veins. The distance should be increased gradually. It is best to start with a short distance, which will take a maximum of 15 minutes at a slow pace. For a walk, prepare comfortable shoes, water and compression garments. You must not be dehydrated, so take a bottle of water with you.
It is important to remember that walking without an anti-varicose shirt can make the disease worse. Sports clothes and shoes should not hamper movements, in addition to pulling the skin with elastic bands.
If you have a treadmill at home, you can set a distance of 1 km at a rate of a maximum of 5 km / h without inclination. During the first week, it is best not to increase the load. When you become confident in your skills, you should slightly increase the distance.
Traditional methods of treating varicose veins
Traditional medicine can be used to treat varicose veins. They are safer than drugs, but still require prior discussion with your doctor.
- Wash the Kalanchoe leaves, chop and pour into a 500 ml glass container. Half a vial or bottle must be filled. The remaining space must be filled with vodka. Remove the infusion in a dark place for 1 week. Shake the solution periodically. After a week, you can use a healing infusion to clean the affected areas with varicose veins.
- 50 g of horse chestnut flowers should be poured with 500 ml of vodka, infused for 2 weeks. The resulting solution should be drunk 30 drops 3 times before meals. The course of treatment is 1 month.
- Squeeze the juice of fresh potatoes, moisten a natural fiber dressing with it, apply a dressing on varicose veins at night.
- Whey compresses for the night.
- Pour the white acacia flowers into a bottle, fill them to the brim with vodka, insist. The solution should be used to treat swollen varicose veins.
- In the same way, an infusion of birch buds is prepared. It will take 10 days for the solution to become saturated with useful substances.
- Foot ointment: take 10 grams of crushed chamomile flowers, the same amount of sage leaves, 50 g of chestnut (grind beforehand), 5 g of common starch. Mix everything, add 200 grams of heated chicken fat. The resulting mass must be heated in a water bath for 2. 5 hours. After that, it is necessary to cool everything down and let it ferment overnight. The ointment can be used several times a day to defeat varicose veins for a long time.
It is important to remember that traditional methods of treatment work only in combination with traditional medicine. Lifestyle changes and weight loss may be necessary.
What is prohibited for varicose veins?
There are several restrictions on the identified disease. First of all, weight lifting should be avoided. This also applies to those who wish to play sports related to energy loads. In this case, the worsening of the condition is possible.
Girls with varicose veins cannot use the following types of cosmetic procedures:
- shugaring, hot waxing;
- enzymatic and quantum types of hair removal;
- pull the hair out with tweezers;
- hot wraps in the SPA, it is better to replace them with hydromassages or cold wraps;
- tattoo in the area of the affected veins.
As varicose veins can be found anywhere on the body, including the small pelvis, women should not have an abortion. This can be dangerous due to the high risk of bleeding.
If varicose veins are treated at home, you should exclude procedures associated with heating the extremities: hot compresses, baths. It is best to use a dyed massage, a contrast shower.
Anyone who follows their physical condition will have to give up some exercises: jumping rope, squatting with load, long running, aerobics, modeling, cycling, dancing. Walking and swimming are helpful.
Cosmetic massage can also be harmful to varicose veins. During the procedure, it is possible to redistribute blood flow to other veins and their involvement in the pathological process. Therefore, massage courses should only be taken at a medical institution after medical consultations.
A diet for varicose veins excludes foods rich in animal fats, spicy and salty foods, vinegar and a lot of coffee. You must follow a rational and balanced diet, which can be chosen in conjunction with a nutritionist based on your anthropometric data.