Almost all women have heard of varicose veins. Even 20-year-old girls are susceptible to this disease. But most face this problem during pregnancy, especially women with a hereditary predisposition.
At first the defect is only cosmetic, but over time pains appear. In advanced conditions, the disease can progress to thrombophlebitis (a common complication of varicose veins), harming the mother and the fetus. How to avoid these consequences, the best recipes for treating varicose veins, as well as preventing disease - you will learn from the material below.
Causes of the occurrence
Carrying a baby is a difficult ordeal for a woman, especially in the second half of pregnancy. During this period, the lower part of the trunk is under constant tension, supporting considerable loads. Blood vessels cannot take the accumulated work and rupture, this is the main cause of varicose veins in the legs of pregnant women.
Furthermore, blood flow increases to nourish not one organism, but two at once, in some cases three! The uterus increases in volume, the pressure increases, which interferes with the natural blood flow, this is another important factor that causes this disease.
There are other reasons for the development of the disease:
- rapid weight gain, overweight;
- repeated pregnancy;
- physical inactivity, sedentary work;
- changes in hormonal background;
- hereditary predisposition;
- bad habits;
- taking long sunbaths.
In addition, during pregnancy, all latent or chronic diseases are exacerbated, so resort to disease prevention. If the problem persists, use treatment prescriptions.
First signs and symptoms
This disease does not manifest itself at first, but over time, you will definitely experience discomfort and other signs:
- veins swell, visible to the naked eye;
- various types of mesh are formed - this is the result of the rupture of blood vessels;
- at night there is severe tiredness in the legs, swelling;
- the pain doesn't go away in the morning, the situation gets worse;
- Varicose veins occur not only in the legs, but also in the pelvic region (uterus, lips). In such a situation, only a doctor will identify this disease, but if you feel itchy, groin pain, inability to sit for a long time, consult a gynecologist immediately;
- in advanced cases, patients have cramps in the lower limbs.
If you encounter any of the above symptoms, you must inform your doctor, he will clarify the diagnosis, prescribe competent treatment.
Classification of the disease
Pregnant women have the following types of varicose veins:
- lower limbs. This type is the most common, the sealed legs are a support for the whole organism, they have to bear the load that appeared;
- vagina. Most of the time it is diagnosed in the second pregnancy, it is worth the immediate intervention of doctors, as such pathology can complicate delivery;
- uterus. This problem is faced by women who have had an abortion, had sexually transmitted infections or are due to a genetic predisposition;
- in the groin. It is accompanied by severe pain in this area, interferes with normal gait.
Avoid self-diagnosis and self-medication, think about the future baby, only the doctor will accurately determine the type and course of future actions.
Effective exercises and treatments
Consult your gynecologist, the best option would be if he wrote a reference to a restricted specialist - phlebologist (a doctor who treats chronic venous insufficiency or CVI).
This doctor, depending on the stage of development, the location of the pathology, will prescribe the following drugs:
- topical application of ointments and gels;
- taking special pills (phlebotonics), which strengthen the walls of blood vessels inside, help to recover those already damaged;
- anticoagulants. These drugs help to thin the blood, preventing the formation of blood clots, which obstruct blood vessels, which break with time. They are used in extreme cases, as this can lead to placental detachment, bleeding;
- special underwear. The doctor will select compression tights, socks with a supportive effect for you. They can be used for prophylaxis (70 den) or for treatment (100-280 den);
- all types of traditional medicine help dilate the veins in your legs, read the recipes below.
Important!If you find severe edema, redness in the vein area, swelling, sharp pain, fever, don't hesitate, but call an ambulance!
When you arrive at the hospital, notify the team about your problem, also do not start this process after your baby is born.
Useful gymnastics for pregnant women, these exercises help to relieve fatigue, reduce pain and swelling:
- Sit in a chair, move your feet in a circle, do not lift your heels off the floor;
- Stand, stretch your left leg forward, rotate first with your foot, then with your entire leg, alternate your legs;
- It is useful to tiptoe, walk around the apartment 3-4 times, then walk outside and inside your feet;
- Sit on a comfortable surface for you, lift your heels off the floor, the socks should remain pressed to the floor, and then return to the starting position.
Do each of these exercises 10 times, preferably 3 sets. Consider your state of health and the duration of your pregnancy, you shouldn't try too hard.
Varicose veins can be treated with surgery, but in extreme cases. Such manipulations are strictly prohibited for pregnant women.
Treatment with traditional medicine
Some ladies trust doctors only, but there are methods tested by our mothers and grandmothers. These recipes do not contain chemicals, everything is natural, so there are no special contraindications for pregnant women, except for individual intolerance to some components.
List of the most effective remedies for varicose veins:
- apple cider vinegar.Can be used externally and internally. Rub some of this product on your skin every night, to enhance the effect, drink 1 glass of water with 1 teaspoon of vinegar after meals. Do not expect a quick effect, this disease requires long-term treatment. You will see the first positive results not earlier than a month;
- green tomatoes.Cut this fruit in circles, fix it in the swollen veins, wrap it with an elastic bandage. Do these manipulations every night, wash the compress with water in the morning. The course of treatment lasts about 5 to 6 months, but the result is worth it;
- potatoes.This product is in all kitchens, grate 5 fresh potatoes, apply on the feet, wrap with cling film, store for about four hours. This compress will immediately relieve pain, over time the veins will decrease;
- horse chestnut.Prepare a tincture with this ingredient: pour the inflorescences (50 g) with vodka (1 liter), let it ferment for 2-3 weeks in a cool place. Strain before using, take 2 tablespoons a day, the course of treatment is ten days, then take a break of 5 days. After 3-4 strokes, you will notice a significant improvement in the condition of your veins;
- lilac dye.Soak 200 g of plant leaves in 800 ml of vodka and leave for about a week. After the period is over, stretch, rub your legs with the resulting solution. Do these manipulations every night until complete recovery;
- nettle.This treatment method is long (about a year), but absolutely safe. Drink a decoction of nettle every day for 1 glass (break the reception 3-4 times). Potion recipe: 2 tablespoons. Pour tablespoons of the dried plant with 1 cup of boiling water, leave for 25 minutes. Drink the broth for 1 month, then take a break for 14 days, then repeat the treatment;
- apples.Everyone knows a variety like Antonovka. Take 3 of these fruits, pour 1 liter of boiling water, wait 30 minutes, crush the apples in the porridge, strain the broth. Mix the resulting infusion with vodka, honey (1: 1: 1). Take 1 tablespoon on an empty stomach. spoon in the morning and before bed at night. This treatment lasts about a month, you will notice an excellent result;
- silver wormwood.Grind the fresh flowers of this herb well until you get a homogeneous mass + the same amount of sour milk, stir well. Lubricate the feet with the resulting porridge, cover with gauze. Perform this procedure for no more than 5 days, take a 3-4 day break, then you can repeat the treatment another 2-3 times;
- Kalanchoe.Mix the dry leaves of this plant with vodka (1: 1), leave for 1 week, shake the contents periodically. Rub the dye on the skin of your legs, the pain will disappear, a feeling of lightness will appear, the veins will be less noticeable. This type of treatment also takes a long time (3-4 months).
Use these products only after consulting your doctor. You can combine medications with therapy at home. You must remember to follow the diet (eat cereals, vegetables, not fatty meat), so you will help the body to deal with the disease.
If you did not have varicose veins before pregnancy, there is no inherited predisposition and you are not overweight, it will not be difficult to take all preventive measures.
Tips to avoid chronic venous insufficiency during pregnancy:
- give preference to shoes, with low heels, listen to your feelings, you must be comfortable;
- swimming, will help not only in the prevention of varicose veins, but also of other diseases. Water treatments are also beneficial to the fetus;
- sleep on your left after the first trimester. This will reduce the pressure in the vein on the right side;
- do not cross one leg over the other while sitting, this will compress the vessels;
- don't stay in the same position for long, always be on the move, this is very useful for the baby. Of course, if there are no special contraindications;
- don't use tight rubber bands, give up your socks for a while, with tight rubber bands and other pressed wardrobe items;
- observe your diet, avoid sweet, salty and fatty foods. Leave chips and sodas in the past too.
It will be good if a qualified specialist examines you during pregnancy planning, then it will be much easier to prevent or cure minor deviations from the norm, because most drugs cannot be used during childbirth.
Monitor your body's condition, if you encounter any unpleasant symptoms, contact your doctor immediately. Then you and your baby will be absolutely healthy.