Varicose veins of the lower extremities is a disease that affects beautiful women four times more than the strong half of humanity. And if before this disease was considered “age-related”, affecting mainly women after 50 years of age, today phlebologists speak with regret about their “youth”, which is more and more accentuated.
And doctors' fears are understandable, because they are increasingly addressed by women whose age is barely 30 years old. Therefore, it is necessary to know what is the danger of varicose veins in the legs in women, what are the causes of its occurrence, the symptoms and what are the ways to get rid of the disease currently known.
Signs to sound the alarm
Doctors have long since established the general signs of varicose veins in the legs, when detected, it is necessary, without delay, to go to a consultation with a vascular surgeon.
The following factors eloquently proclaim the appearance of varicose veins:
- Swelling of the legs and feet, especially at night, after a busy day at work. In the early stages of the disease, the edema, as a rule, disappears completely after a restorative night rest, but if the disease has passed to chronic stages, this symptom becomes a permanent companion of the patient.
- Pain syndrome in the gastrocnemius region, feeling of fullness, which does not stop until the patient is "lying down".
- Varicose veins on women's legs visibly spoil the appearance of a beautiful leg. Often, the appearance on the surface of the skin, before a mesh of blood vessels so smooth and smooth, makes beautiful women run to the doctor urgently.
- In some places in the calf of the legs, especially in the popliteal region, prominent venous vessels, usually knotty, of bright colors, are observed. The color of the leg veins can vary from deep blue to brownish purple.
If you have detected one or more of these unpleasant phenomena in yourself, know that these are the symptoms of varicose veins in your legs, and making an appointment with a doctor is the most urgent need in this situation.
What can happen if you don't see a doctor in time
This disease is dangerous, not just a deterioration in the appearance of women's slim legs. In addition to the fact that you now have to give preference to dark pants and tights, throwing your favorite miniskirts on the back shelf of the closet, the following may happen:
- If urgent measures are not taken to treat blood congestion in the venous vessels of the legs, the next stage in the development of the disease is thrombophlebitis. This is due to the fact that the blood, thickening in the deformed veins, gradually forms blood clots, which obstruct the vessels. Entering the cardiac or pulmonary artery, blood clots cause death.
- The appearance of dermatitis and, subsequently - and trophic ulcer. The skin, on which the diseased vein was projected, first darkens, becomes thinner, tense, resulting in a harmful glow to health. Subsequently, thinning further, this skin is easily exposed to external lesions, and the inflammatory process begins not only inside the vein, but also on the surface of the skin. This can result in a trophic ulcer (which does not heal), which is an open and watery wound.
- A venous vessel, when deformed and distended, can simply "leak", resulting in bleeding, which can be both internal and external.
- If ulcers and other skin damage have already formed, pathogenic bacteria and infections easily enter the bloodstream through them. This can lead to dire consequences in the form of gangrene and the need to amputate the affected limb.
Where do female varicose veins come from?
This unpleasant and untreatable disease affects girls and women much more often than men, and here's why.
- The causes of varicose veins in women usually stem from harmful heredity. If the grandmother, the mother and the older sisters suffer from venous insufficiency, then the risk of its occurrence in the younger generation is much greater than in those in whose female lineage the disease is absent.
- Professional factor. If, due to the nature of your activity, you have to spend a lot of time standing (they are salespeople, teachers, surgeons), then blood stagnation in the lower extremities is a frequent occurrence. The same consequences occur for those whose job involves sitting at the table for a long time at the computer.
- Incorrect food. It is no secret that many women like to pamper themselves with sweets, high-calorie pastries, something spicy like marinades, sauces and spicy condiments. All of these treats, if eaten frequently, make the blood thicken. As a result, blood flow is interrupted, congestion is formed and the veins in the legs are deformed.
- Another factor in the appearance of varicose veins is the fact that a married lady, burdened with daily life, children and work, simply does not have time to dedicate herself to the loved one. As a consequence of the lack of time for the gym or just for physical exercises at home, the calf muscles lose their tone, failing to maintain normal pressure inside the leg vessels. In addition, venous walls are deformed and blood stagnation does not take long.
- Changes in hormone levels. It can be climacteric syndrome and pregnancy. In the latter case, varicose veins can be caused not only by hormones, but also by increased pressure in the legs, for which it becomes increasingly difficult to carry a growing belly. In addition, the intensity of blood flow in pregnant women doubles, and the venous vessels may simply not be able to handle such a powerful load. Therefore, all women "in an interesting position", especially in the last trimester, need regular preventive examinations by a phlebologist.
- Preference for high heels in everyday life. These shoes, while making a lady attractive to men, are very harmful to the health of your legs! A constant load on the lower leg is a harbinger of blood congestion and pathological deformation of the vessels in the gastrocnemius region.
How female varicose veins can be cured
The set of measures to treat varicose veins in the legs in women is generally as follows:
- Stop the development of the disease.
- Removal of disease symptoms.
- Preventive measures.
Before treatment is prescribed, the phlebologist performs the necessary tests and determines the degree of development of the disease.
If the disease has not gone too far, as evidenced by the absence of blood clots and other serious consequences, varicose veins can be cured.
Usually prescribed for this disease:
- Ointments and gels that tone the venous walls, strengthen them and also normalize intravenous (venotonic) blood flow. In addition, horse chestnut products are very effective.
- Preparations in tablets with blood thinning and antithrombotic action.
- Pills that help eliminate and prevent inflammation in the veins. And these funds also help to relieve pain perfectly.
- Anti-edema medications.
In addition, there is hardware therapy, which is also very effective in treating varicose veins.
- The device, invented by South Korean specialists, perfectly helps tired legs, relieving pain and eliminating swelling.
- A device that helps restore the damaged structure of blood vessels and soft tissues in the painful area of the calves.
- A device that normalizes venous circulation due to its vibrations.
- A device with a complex effect that restores the tissues affected by varicose veins, relieving swelling, pain and inflammation.
- A device that heals painful veins with a laser, speeding blood flow and relieving pain in the veins.
And there are also many folk remedies on how to treat varicose veins in women's legs. They are ointments, compresses, friction and various tinctures for oral administration.
- For example, you can make this dye. Take 1 large spoonful of calamus roots, thyme, coltsfoot, string, birch buds. Put everything in a pan, put 1 liter of boiling water there. Heat in a double boiler for about half an hour. Then cool, drain and drink 1/2 cup before meals, three times a day. The course of treatment is 1 month.
- Compresses for varicose veins based on fermented dairy products are also very good. You can use only kefir, or you can pour finely chopped leaves and flowers of bitter wormwood into it (or yogurt). After wrapping the pad over with a film and insulated with a blanket, lie down for about half an hour. Then, the feet should be rinsed and greased with varicose vein ointment recommended by the doctor.
In the later stages of varicose veins, the following is commonly practiced:
- Minimally invasive methods of treatment: laser and radiofrequency correction, microflebectomy, sclerotherapy.
- Classical surgery, when the diseased part of the vein (and sometimes the entire venous vessel) is completely removed.
Read them and try to follow the advice that will help you defeat varicose veins.
- Correction of the daily ration. All fatty foods high in cholesterol, spicy marinades, salinity, smoked meats, as well as strong teas, coffee and alcohol are prohibited.
- If a woman smokes, this will significantly complicate the treatment of varicose veins. Therefore, it is necessary to compose and give up addiction.
- Wear corrective pantyhose and leg warmers. This is a special underwear that should be worn by venous patients so that intravenous pressure is normalized and the development of deformities of the veins stops. For the prevention of venous diseases, class 1 underwear is recommended, if the capillary mesh is already visible and the swelling has become more pronounced, then you need to buy 2 class compression pants. And in case of significant deformation of the vessels, the 3rd compression class of this underwear is used.
- Revitalizing fitness complex. There are many physical exercises recommended to fight varicose veins. This can be running short distances, lifting your lower limbs, swinging your legs.
Furthermore, yoga can be an excellent help only if your postures (asanas) do not involve prolonged static tension in your calf muscles. For the same reason, team sports are excluded: volleyball, football, basketball, weightlifting, long and intense runs.
For the development of venous diseases to stop as soon as possible, you need to adhere to these principles:
- Set aside high-heeled shoes and buy comfortable, high-quality shoes made of natural materials.
- Avoid baths, saunas and solariums.
- Replace intense sports loads with softer ones, without forgetting to discuss the exercises with your doctor.
- If you don't exercise, you need to compose yourself and set aside half an hour a day to perform a therapeutic exercise complex.
- Organize your diet by including as many vegetables, cereals and seafood as possible in your diet. For example, the secrets of Japanese women, famous for their long youth and good health, reside precisely in the abundance of "seafood" and rice on the table of everyday life.
All of these measures are perfectly suitable as prophylaxis of varicose veins for those who do not want to face this harmful disease.
After all, any disease is much easier to predict and prevent than to deal with its unpleasant manifestations. Love yourself! And be healthy!