Based on anatomical features, human vessels consist of a layered wall and valves. With a constant orthostatic effect on the legs, there is an increase in diastolic pressure. Due to their elasticity, the vessels form varicose veins.
Compression underwear for varicose veins has the opposite effect. Due to the distribution of pressure over the entire surface of the leg, it is possible to normalize the condition of the vessels. Diameter decreases and blood flow is not impeded by vascular branch, pressure decreases.
Compression underwear purpose
In the case of varicose veins, the indication for the use of a compression girdle is the first step in the treatment of the disease. Often, the reason for varicose veins is a violation of blood circulation and a lack of muscle tone. The presence of thrombophlebitis and other diseases of the vascular system contribute to complications of varicose veins.
Consultation may be needed for risk factors for varicose veins. These include:
- play sports;
- constant orthostatic pressure in the legs;
- pathology of the limbs and cardiovascular system.
Compressive pressure with varicose veins is needed to restore tone to blood vessels, muscles and joints. Also, if necessary, normalize blood flow in the vessels and reduce the edema that occurs with varicose veins.
Compression garments relieve fatigue and pain in limbs affected by varicose veins.
Despite the presence of varicose veins, compression garments may be prescribed after surgery. In cases where varicose veins are treated with surgery, the postoperative period is followed by limb compression. This allows the vessels to recover and does not waste elements for stretching, which is followed after the procedures.
Compression underwear is able to remove excess fluid and participate in heat transfer, as well as creating the constant pressure needed to alleviate pain in varicose veins. Therapeutic underwear does not contribute to the occurrence of allergic reactions, its materials do not participate in the reaction.
The linen material in the necessary places follows the contours of the body and fits well. Over time, the material becomes stronger and resembles the shape of the body.
Compression underwear for the treatment of varicose veins is sewn from microfiber, elastic materials: nylon and cotton fibers, lycra. The tensile properties of these materials provide the user's compressive pressure.
The use of the product is done only with the indication of a phlebologist. This effectiveness only applies to clothing of 1 to 4 grades with a pressure of 24 millimeters of mercury. This is necessary to rule out the possibility of damaging the vessels through the improper use of compression.
As prophylactic compression products have a pressure of up to 18 millimeters of mercury, their use is not harmful to health and can be used without the advice of a phlebologist.
When choosing underwear, you should be guided by a few criteria:
- Originality. It is important that the product comes from the original supplier. In counterfeits, substandard or substandard materials are often used. This leads to incorrect compression or rapid wear of the product.
- The size. Selecting the correct size ensures that the compression therapy is correct.
- Using the required class. It is not recommended to wear underwear of a different class instead of the designated one.
All companies producing compression garments for varicose veins are guided by the international standard. Before starting production, and after passing the tests, companies receive a certificate, which means that the product is really medicinal and has medical use.
All company representatives must have the right to distribute products. If there is no such document, the product is not original.
There is a separate certification for the anti-embolic underwear class. As these compression products are used exclusively for the treatment of medical ailments, companies are certified to a medical standard.
classification and types
All compression products for the treatment of varicose veins are divided into the following characteristics: the degree of compression, the form of release and the purpose of the consultation.
During classification, four product classes are distinguished:
- The first class is intended for varicose vein neoplasms or for prophylactic purposes. The maximum pressure in the class is 23 millimeters of mercury.
- The second class is used to treat varicose veins or thrombophlebitis. The maximum pressure is 33 millimeters of mercury. The second class, with vasodilation, is only applicable for a mild form of the disease.
- The third class is indicated in acute venous insufficiency as well as in violation of cell metabolism. The maximum pressure is 45 millimeters of mercury.
- The fourth grade is about rehabilitation. It is most often used post-operatively, when the vascular system and muscles cannot independently maintain normal blood flow or there is a risk of causing varicose vein symptoms.
- Hospital. It is only used during constant medical supervision during the post-operative period.
- Preventive. In cases where the first signs of diseases of the vascular system appear - varicose veins.
- Therapeutic. I'm used to treating chronic diseases of the vascular system, it eliminates symptoms.
For medical purposes, as a rule, compression garments are used with a pressure of 33 to 45 millimeters of mercury. Phlebologists consider this pressure ideal for therapy.
The assortment of compression underwear is diverse, manufacturing companies have both male and female models.
It is represented by the following types:
- Socks. The medical shirt in this shape is only thigh-length. The main purpose of the application is to eliminate swelling and varicose veins in the lower leg and thigh. Socks help keep blood vessels in the correct shape, which prevents them from clogging.
- Socks. Compression socks are similar in appearance to regular products. The socks fit snugly all over the leg - from toes to waist. Treatment covers: shin, thigh and groin area. Tight pants are recommended only in cases where varicose veins are spread above the knee joint.
- Knees and leggings. Knee height extends only to the leg area. This allows you to use point compression to form varicose veins only in the lower leg. Knee height is very popular among pregnant women. The socks eliminate swelling and normalize blood flow. Leg warmers differ from golf courses only in the absence of socks. However, the effect is the same.
- Sleeves. Its main objective is to eliminate the accumulation of lymphatic fluid, which causes significant swelling of the limb. This usually occurs after upper body surgery.
- During the pregnancy. During pregnancy, compression garments help to eliminate leg swelling and prevent varicose vein symptoms.
Wearing compression underwear during pregnancy relieves the load on the lower back, allowing you to constantly maintain correct posture. This promotes a better exchange of oxygen between the fetus and the mother.
How to choose the size?
The size of the varicose vein compression garment is selected based on body measurements. It is not recommended to wear underwear that is larger or smaller than those prescribed by your doctor. This use is uncomfortable and will either aggravate the development of the disease or not help.
Before buying, you need to measure:
- ankle circumference;
- the neck circumference directly under the knee;
- thigh circumference at a height of 25 to 30 centimeters;
- the total length of the leg from heel to groin;
- waist and hip sizes.
Thigh circumference in persons up to 175 centimeters tall should be performed at the 175 centimeter level. Above that number, the countdown increases to 30 centimeters.
Only a phlebologist or a specially trained consultant can choose compression underwear.
After the measurements, it is necessary to compare the results with the size chart. Each manufacturer indicates this data on the packaging.
If the volume of the legs and waist does not match the available sizes, it makes sense to refuse to wear pantyhose. There will be no effect from using them. It's worth paying attention to leggings or socks.
Recommendations for wearing
To get the maximum effect from wearing compression garments, this is only possible with proper use. The treatment process will only continue if the shirt is properly worn.
To do this, you must follow the recommendations:
- it is necessary to dress the linen in the morning in a horizontal position;
- for convenience, the top folds into an accordion and extends from the bottom;
- first you should start dressing by lightly embroidering the location of the foot and toes;
- straightens the material without pulling it along the entire length of the thigh.
If leggings or socks are worn, their traction should be limited to the medium length when stretched.
If there is edema in the varicose veins or if underwear with high pressure is worn, a special device must be used to put it on.
Advice on care
For long-term use of compression underwear to treat varicose veins, you must follow the rules for the care of compression underwear:
- clothes should only be hand washed with a low-alkali shampoo;
- the maximum water temperature must be in the range of 30 to 40 degrees;
- the product is only dried horizontally and without direct sunlight, as well as without high temperatures;
- when using products with gel strips, it is worth preventing liquid from entering the tape as this worsens skin contact.
It is recommended to wear several pairs of compression garments at the same time. Thus, it is possible to avoid the rapid wear and tear of clothing.
The use of compression garments is recommended for all people who experience frequent pressure in the extremities or after surgery, as a result of which pressure normalizes and blood flow improves.
The variety of models and classifications makes it possible to individually address the problem of choosing an item of clothing. Care and application of compression underwear for varicose veins is not difficult. If all operating rules are followed, it is possible to maintain the therapeutic properties of the material for up to 10 months.